Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Translating Art Into Poetry



The artwork above is a pencil and charcoal drawing created by Wayne Barrett, an artist from Tampa, Florida.  The inspiration for this piece came from a photo given to Wayne by a good friend.  The subject had such a look of curiosity and childlike innocence in the photo, Wayne felt compelled to start drawing it immediately. The prose below is my translation of what I see in this drawing.


 Not Another Picture
by Philly Dreamer


Oh Mom!,
Why do you keep making me pose for these pictures?
All I want to do is go outside and play.

Mom, I know you love me,
But I'm starting to think
Your obsessed.

I don't understand
Why you get so much joy
From taking my picture

You must really love me a lot
Of you just love
Torturing me.

You know mom,
I really don't mind it
It's nice to be loved

While you're looking at me
I see the smile on your face
And deep down I like making you happy

So I guess I'll sit here
And pose for another picture
But I swear this is the last time
Unless of course you ask me again


I'm sure you have your own interpretation of what this picture says, so I challenge you to translate this artwork into poetry for yourself.  I would love to see what you come up with, so send me a link to your poem at Foreverpoetry@Yahoo.com...  I would like to thank Wayne Barrett for allowing me to share his work with you, and if you would like to see more of Wayne's creations, check out his site.

Wayne Barrett Art on Facebook


         


1 comment:

  1. Nice work as is the usual for you. Sometime in the next couple of days I hope to participate...if I am eligible. Good luck and enjoy your writing.

    ReplyDelete