Thursday, November 1, 2012

Hurricane Sandy Poetry Challenge



I bring this poetry challenge to you, as a much humbled poet.  There were many times when I heard about the destructive forces of a hurricane, but having witnessed the power of Hurricane Sandy, the only thing I can say is, I pray no one else has to know such devastation.  People have lost their lives, people are trying to survive without running water and electricity, and people are working their hands to the bone to return things back to normal. 

This poetry challenge will be very near and dear to my heart, because I was one of the fortunate survivors who walked away from this natural disaster unharmed.  There are however, millions of people who can't say the same thing, and these people will serve as the inspiration for this challenge.  This week, I would like my fellow poets to write an original poem inspired by the devastation of Hurricane Sandy.  I would like poetry about first hand experiences with the storm and poetry meant to lift the spirits of the victims.  It is my hope that when life returns back to normal that the survivors of this storm will look upon this poetry and find encouragement to keep rebuilding what they lost. 


Guidelines For The Challenge

  • Write an original poem on any site you choose inspired by Hurricane Sandy.
  • Send the links to these poems to me at Foreverpoetry@yahoo.com.
  • In one weeks time I will write a follow-up to this challenge with the links to each person who has written poetry to this challenge.  I will continue to post links, so long as people keep sending them to me.
  • Please post the link to any of the following charity sites in your poetry contributions, and encourage people to make a donation to them so we can use our poetry to do some good for the victims of Hurricane Sandy.  

Click here to make a donation to the Red Cross

Click here to make a donation to the Salvation Army

Click here to make a donation to AmeriCares


These charities are currently offering support to the victims of Hurricane Sandy, please share these links in your poetry for this challenge, and please make a donation to help the cause.  Help spread the word about this poetry challenge so we can get maximum participation, and raise as much as we can to help the victims of this natural disaster. 

1 comment: